
-
Kenya's economy faces climate change risks: World Bank
-
Greece nixes Acropolis shoot for 'Poor Things' director
-
Trump unveils first $5 million 'gold card' visa
-
BP chairman to step down after energy strategy reset
-
Indian patriotic movie 'icon' Manoj Kumar dies aged 87
-
Pacific nations perplexed, worried by Trump tariffs
-
Prominent US academic facing royal insult charge in Thailand
-
Yana, a 130,000-year-old baby mammoth, goes under the scalpel
-
Crops under threat as surprise March heatwave hits Central Asia: study
-
Japan PM says Trump tariffs a 'national crisis'
-
'It's gone': conservation science in Thailand's burning forest
-
EU leaders push for influence at Central Asia summit
-
Asian stocks extend global rout after Trump's shock tariff blitz
-
German industry grapples with AI at trade fair
-
Where Trump's tariffs could hurt Americans' wallets
-
Trump tariffs on Mexico: the good, the bad, the unknown
-
With tariff war, Trump also reshapes how US treats allies
-
Penguin memes take flight after Trump tariffs remote island
-
Tom Cruise pays tribute to Val Kilmer
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa
-
Stellantis pausing some Canada, Mexico production over Trump auto tariffs
-
Rising odds asteroid that briefly threatened Earth will hit Moon
-
Is the Switch 2 worth the price? Reviews are mixed
-
Countries eye trade talks as Trump tariff blitz roils markets
-
AI could impact 40 percent of jobs worldwide: UN
-
US trade partners eye talks after Trump tariff blitz
-
Dollar, stocks sink as gold hits high on Trump tariffs
-
Trump tariff blitz sparks retaliation threats, economic fears
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Nintendo Switch 2 sparks excitement despite high price
-
Sri Lanka's crackdown on dogs for India PM's visit sparks protest
-
China vows 'countermeasures' to sweeping new US tariffs
-
Trump jolts allies, foes and markets with tariff blitz
-
How Trump's 'liberation day' tariffs will impact China
-
Europe hits out at Trump tariffs, keeps door open for talks
-
Australia sweats through hottest 12 months on record: official data
-
South African artist champions hyenas in 'eco-queer' quest
-
Taiwan says US tariffs 'highly unreasonable'
-
Trump escalates trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
China says opposes new US tariffs, vows 'countermeasures'
-
Quake-hit Myanmar's junta chief to head to Bangkok summit
-
New Spielberg, Nolan films teased at CinemaCon

London police say 90 victims identified in new Al-Fayed probe
London's Metropolitan Police confirmed Wednesday that it had opened a new investigation into sexual assault claims against the late Harrods owner Mohamed Al-Fayed, which has so far identified 90 victims.
It comes in the wake of a BBC documentary, aired in September, that detailed several claims of rape and sexual assault against the billionaire Egyptian businessman, who died in August last year aged 94.
More than 400 women and witnesses have since come forward alleging sexual misconduct against him, sparking scrutiny of how the London police force handled complaints stretching back decades.
The Met said "numerous victims, some reporting multiple offences" had come forward following a renewed public appeal. A dedicated unit would "review all reports and pursue all reasonable lines of enquiry", it added.
The force has previously said it had identified 60 potential victims.
Detectives are now probing "a number of individuals associated with" Al-Fayed and "working to establish what roles those individuals may have played in assisting and facilitating" any offences, it added.
Detectives are also reviewing all previous investigations to identify any "missed opportunities", the Met said, noting that investigative techniques and practices had "progressed significantly over the last 20 years".
They have already reviewed more than 50,000 pages of evidence, including victim and impact statements, according to the force.
"This investigation is about giving survivors a voice, despite the fact that Mohamed Al-Fayed is no longer alive to face prosecution," said Commander Stephen Clayman of the Met's Specialist Crime Command.
"However, we are now pursuing any individuals suspected to have been complicit in his offending, and we are committed to seeking justice."
Clayman acknowledged that "past events may have impacted the public's trust and confidence in our approach".
But he said the force was "determined to rebuild that trust by addressing these allegations with integrity and thoroughness".
Earlier this month, the Met referred itself to the UK police watchdog following complaints from two women about its handling of investigations into Al-Fayed's alleged sexual abuse.
Accusations have also emerged in recent weeks against his late brother Salah Fayed -- who died in 2010 -- during the period when he jointly owned Harrods.
Meanwhile, The New York Times this month published the claims of a victim accusing another brother, Ali, aged 80, of knowing about the "trafficking" of women.
X.Cheung--CPN