
-
Kenya's economy faces climate change risks: World Bank
-
Sean 'Diddy' Combs faces more charges ahead of criminal trial
-
Intercommunal violence kills dozens in central Nigeria
-
Trump goads China as global trade war escalates
-
How can the EU respond to Trump tariffs?
-
Canada loses jobs for first time in 3 years as US tariffs bite
-
Nations divided ahead of decisive week for shipping emissions
-
US job growth strong in March but Trump tariff impact still to come
-
Stocks, oil slump as China retaliates and Trump digs in heels
-
US hiring beats expectations in March as tariff uncertainty brews
-
Where things stand in the US-China trade war
-
UK spy agency MI5 reveals fruity secrets in new show
-
Taiwan earmarks $2.7 bn to help industries hit by US tariffs
-
Greece nixes Acropolis shoot for 'Poor Things' director
-
Trump unveils first $5 million 'gold card' visa
-
BP chairman to step down after energy strategy reset
-
Indian patriotic movie 'icon' Manoj Kumar dies aged 87
-
Pacific nations perplexed, worried by Trump tariffs
-
Prominent US academic facing royal insult charge in Thailand
-
Yana, a 130,000-year-old baby mammoth, goes under the scalpel
-
Crops under threat as surprise March heatwave hits Central Asia: study
-
Japan PM says Trump tariffs a 'national crisis'
-
'It's gone': conservation science in Thailand's burning forest
-
EU leaders push for influence at Central Asia summit
-
Asian stocks extend global rout after Trump's shock tariff blitz
-
German industry grapples with AI at trade fair
-
Where Trump's tariffs could hurt Americans' wallets
-
Trump tariffs on Mexico: the good, the bad, the unknown
-
With tariff war, Trump also reshapes how US treats allies
-
Penguin memes take flight after Trump tariffs remote island
-
Tom Cruise pays tribute to Val Kilmer
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa
-
Stellantis pausing some Canada, Mexico production over Trump auto tariffs
-
Rising odds asteroid that briefly threatened Earth will hit Moon
-
Is the Switch 2 worth the price? Reviews are mixed
-
Countries eye trade talks as Trump tariff blitz roils markets
-
AI could impact 40 percent of jobs worldwide: UN
-
US trade partners eye talks after Trump tariff blitz
-
Dollar, stocks sink as gold hits high on Trump tariffs
-
Trump tariff blitz sparks retaliation threats, economic fears
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Nintendo Switch 2 sparks excitement despite high price
RBGPF | 1.48% | 69.02 | $ | |
RYCEF | -16.81% | 8.39 | $ | |
BCC | 0.45% | 95.06 | $ | |
CMSC | 0.45% | 22.36 | $ | |
SCS | -1.99% | 10.53 | $ | |
RIO | -7.33% | 54.44 | $ | |
JRI | -7.55% | 11.92 | $ | |
GSK | -7.2% | 36.39 | $ | |
CMSD | 0.4% | 22.76 | $ | |
RELX | -5.63% | 48.7 | $ | |
NGG | -5.32% | 65.885 | $ | |
AZN | -7.57% | 68.72 | $ | |
VOD | -10.43% | 8.485 | $ | |
BTI | -4.9% | 39.96 | $ | |
BP | -9.79% | 28.545 | $ | |
BCE | 0.7% | 22.82 | $ |

Mexican president heads to mine disaster zone
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said that he would visit a disaster-hit coal mining region on Sunday to see firsthand a major operation to try to rescue 10 workers.
Relatives of those trapped were becoming increasingly desperate four days after the mine flooded in the northern state of Coahuila, fearing time is running out to save them.
Nearly 400 soldiers and other personnel, including six military scuba divers, have joined the rescue effort but so far it has been too dangerous to enter the mine, authorities said.
"I'm going to see how the rescue's going. I'm going to the situation," Lopez Obrador told reporters during a trip to the western state of Colima.
He had earlier declared Saturday "a decisive day" for the operation in Agujita, which is in the municipality of Sabinas.
"According to the experts, we'll know if it's possible for the divers to enter safely," he tweeted.
The focus has been on pumping out water from the mine to make it safe enough to descend into the shafts, which are 60 meters (200 feet) deep.
Five workers managed to escape from the crudely constructed mine in the initial aftermath of the disaster, but since then, no survivors have been found.
- Round-the-clock efforts -
Coahuila's state government said the miners had been carrying out excavation work when they hit an adjoining area full of water.
By late Saturday the water inside the mine had receded only about 9.5 meters from the initial 34 meters, authorities told relatives.
Liliana Torres, the niece of one of the missing workers, said that she had witnessed the relentlessness of rescuers who "do not stop all day," but added that the families were increasingly "desperate."
After Saturday ended without success, some families joined a mass near their improvised camp in the community of Agujita.
Water seen flowing from the mine through drainage channels had earlier lifted the hopes of relatives anxiously awaiting news.
"We're still hoping that they're in a higher part (of the mine), although there's too much water... but we trust in God," Elva Hernandez, mother-in-law of one of the trapped workers, told AFP.
The Coahuila State prosecutor's office said it had interviewed the five workers who managed to escape from the crudely constructed mine.
"Apparently they were expelled by a torrent of water," Coahuila attorney general Gerardo Marquez told the press.
He added that his office had requested information from the landowner and mine concession holder, but declined to name them.
Experts detected a leak coming from nearby mines and were trying to find its exact location so they can stop water from flowing into the area where the workers are trapped, Coahuila's labor secretary, Nazira Zogbi, said on Saturday.
A French company has provided equipment to assist in the task, she said, without naming the firm.
Coahuila, Mexico's main coal-producing region, has seen a series of fatal mining accidents over the years.
Last year, seven miners died when they were trapped in the region.
The worst accident was an explosion that claimed 65 lives at the Pasta de Conchos mine in 2006.
Only two bodies were retrieved after that tragedy.
O.Ignatyev--CPN