
-
Kenya's economy faces climate change risks: World Bank
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Nintendo Switch 2 sparks excitement despite high price
-
Sri Lanka's crackdown on dogs for India PM's visit sparks protest
-
China vows 'countermeasures' to sweeping new US tariffs
-
Trump jolts allies, foes and markets with tariff blitz
-
How Trump's 'liberation day' tariffs will impact China
-
Europe hits out at Trump tariffs, keeps door open for talks
-
Australia sweats through hottest 12 months on record: official data
-
South African artist champions hyenas in 'eco-queer' quest
-
Taiwan says US tariffs 'highly unreasonable'
-
Trump escalates trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
China says opposes new US tariffs, vows 'countermeasures'
-
Quake-hit Myanmar's junta chief to head to Bangkok summit
-
New Spielberg, Nolan films teased at CinemaCon
-
Shiny and deadly, unexploded munitions a threat to Gaza children
-
Stocks tank, havens rally as Trump tariffs fan trade war
-
Financial markets tumble after Trump tariff announcement
-
Europe riled, but plans cool-headed response to Trump's tariffs
-
'Shenmue' voted most influential video game ever in UK poll
-
Revealed: Why monkeys are better at yodelling than humans
-
Key details on Trump's market-shaking tariffs
-
US business groups voice dismay at Trump's new tariffs
-
Trump sparks trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
US stocks end up, but volatility ahead after latest Trump tariffs
-
Boeing chief reports progress to Senate panel after 'serious missteps'
-
Is Musk's political career descending to Earth?
-
On Mexico-US border, Trump's 'Liberation Day' brings fears for future
-
Tesla sales slump as pressure piles on Musk
-
Amazon makes last-minute bid for TikTok: report
-
Tesla first quarter sales sink amid anger over Musk politics
-
World's tiniest pacemaker is smaller than grain of rice
-
Nintendo says Switch 2 console to be launched on June 5
-
Certain foreign firms must 'self-certify' with Trump diversity rules: US embassies
-
Nigerian president sacks board of state oil company
-
Heathrow 'warned about power supply' days before shutdown
-
Epstein accuser Virginia Giuffre 'stable' after car crash
-
Swedish insurer drops $160 mn Tesla stake over labour rights
-
Stock markets mixed as uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
-
Warner showcases 'Superman' reboot, new DiCaprio film
-
Asian markets edge up but uncertainty rules ahead of Trump tariffs
-
UK imposes online entry permit on European visitors
-
How a Brazilian chief is staving off Amazon destruction
-
Brazil binman finds newborn baby on garbage route
-
Trump set to unleash 'Liberation Day' tariffs
-
GM leads first quarter US auto sales as tariffs loom
-
Trump 'perfecting' new tariffs as nervous world braces
-
Trump puts world on edge as 'Liberation Day' tariffs loom
-
UK vows £20 million to boost drone and 'flying taxi' services
-
Ford's US auto sales dip in first quarter as tariffs loom

Le Monde accused of 'censorship' for pulling op-ed on Macron
Leading French daily Le Monde on Friday faced accusations of censorship after it deleted an opinion piece that critically analysed President Emmanuel Macron's stance on Algeria, although the newspaper insisted it had contained an error of interpretation.
Le Monde issued a hugely unusual personal apology to Macron over the article, written by the researcher Paul Max Morin after the president made a hugely sensitive visit to the former French colony late last month.
In his article, Morin argued that a comment made by Macron in Algeria about a "love story that has its tragic element" glorified the colonial past and represented a step back from his previous attempts for a more modern attitude towards the history of France in the North African country.
"Reducing colonisation in Algeria to a 'love story' is the culmination of Macron's shift to the right on the memory question," Morin argued in the piece.
But Le Monde said that it had later deleted the piece as Morin had misinterpreted the quote.
"While it could be subject to different interpretations, the phrase 'a love story that has its tragic element' used by Mr Macron did not specifically refer to colonisation -- as was written in the piece -- but the long history of relations between France and Algeria," it said.
"Le Monde apologises to its readers as well as the president of the Republic," it added.
- 'Inexplicable and inexcusable' -
But the move was followed by a torrent of criticism, especially from figures on the left.
"An op-ed was pulled for a quote Macron made which he did not like," tweeted far-left leader Jean-Luc Melenchon. "It is a new low in the collapse of a newspaper that was once a point of reference."
"Staggering censorship," added Edwy Plenel, a former editor-in-chief of Le Monde who went on to found the investigative website Mediapart.
Morin himself told the Liberation daily that "pulling a piece is an abnormal practice and incomprehensible."
"Inexplicable and inexcusable censorship by Le Monde," tweeted the leading French economist Thomas Piketty. "We can disagree with the piece, but not delete it because it displeases the Elysee."
There was no immediate comment from Macron's office.
The controversy is doubly sensitive given it was Le Monde which in October 2021 quoted closed-door comments by Macron describing Algeria's system as "politico-military" that prompted a new crisis in relations with Algiers.
"When we make mistakes that are our fault, it's normal to apologise to people who may have been offended, starting with our readers," the director of Le Monde, Jerome Fenoglio, told AFP.
Macron in his speeches portrays himself as a champion of the free press but there have been episodes in the past that, according to critics, reveal a more thin-skinned attitude.
In November 2020, the Financial Times pulled a piece that was bitterly critical of France's policy in the fight against Islamist extremism. Macron followed up with a letter to the paper bitterly attacking the article.
Y.Tengku--CPN