
-
Kenya's economy faces climate change risks: World Bank
-
'Everyone worried' by Trump tariffs in France's champagne region
-
UK avoids worst US tariffs post-Brexit, but no celebrations
-
Canada imposing 25% tariff on some US auto imports
-
Lesotho, Africa's 'kingdom in the sky' jolted by Trump
-
Trump's trade math baffles economists
-
Macron calls for suspension of investment in US until tariffs clarified
-
Trump tariffs hammer global stocks, dollar and oil
-
Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list
-
Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa
-
Stellantis pausing some Canada, Mexico production over Trump auto tariffs
-
Rising odds asteroid that briefly threatened Earth will hit Moon
-
Is the Switch 2 worth the price? Reviews are mixed
-
Countries eye trade talks as Trump tariff blitz roils markets
-
AI could impact 40 percent of jobs worldwide: UN
-
US trade partners eye talks after Trump tariff blitz
-
Dollar, stocks sink as gold hits high on Trump tariffs
-
Trump tariff blitz sparks retaliation threats, economic fears
-
Lessons and liquids: buried alive in Myanmar's earthquake
-
Nintendo Switch 2 sparks excitement despite high price
-
Sri Lanka's crackdown on dogs for India PM's visit sparks protest
-
China vows 'countermeasures' to sweeping new US tariffs
-
Trump jolts allies, foes and markets with tariff blitz
-
How Trump's 'liberation day' tariffs will impact China
-
Europe hits out at Trump tariffs, keeps door open for talks
-
Australia sweats through hottest 12 months on record: official data
-
South African artist champions hyenas in 'eco-queer' quest
-
Taiwan says US tariffs 'highly unreasonable'
-
Trump escalates trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
China says opposes new US tariffs, vows 'countermeasures'
-
Quake-hit Myanmar's junta chief to head to Bangkok summit
-
New Spielberg, Nolan films teased at CinemaCon
-
Shiny and deadly, unexploded munitions a threat to Gaza children
-
Stocks tank, havens rally as Trump tariffs fan trade war
-
Financial markets tumble after Trump tariff announcement
-
Europe riled, but plans cool-headed response to Trump's tariffs
-
'Shenmue' voted most influential video game ever in UK poll
-
Revealed: Why monkeys are better at yodelling than humans
-
Key details on Trump's market-shaking tariffs
-
US business groups voice dismay at Trump's new tariffs
-
Trump sparks trade war with sweeping global tariffs
-
US stocks end up, but volatility ahead after latest Trump tariffs
-
Boeing chief reports progress to Senate panel after 'serious missteps'
-
Is Musk's political career descending to Earth?
-
On Mexico-US border, Trump's 'Liberation Day' brings fears for future
-
Tesla sales slump as pressure piles on Musk
-
Amazon makes last-minute bid for TikTok: report
-
Tesla first quarter sales sink amid anger over Musk politics
-
World's tiniest pacemaker is smaller than grain of rice
-
Nintendo says Switch 2 console to be launched on June 5
RBGPF | -0.41% | 67.72 | $ | |
CMSC | -0.81% | 22.32 | $ | |
SCS | -5.23% | 10.89 | $ | |
BCE | 2.96% | 22.485 | $ | |
JRI | -1.48% | 12.85 | $ | |
RIO | -2.08% | 58.68 | $ | |
RYCEF | 0.2% | 9.8 | $ | |
CMSD | -0.79% | 22.65 | $ | |
NGG | 5.5% | 69.605 | $ | |
BCC | -7.58% | 94.88 | $ | |
RELX | 1.01% | 51.5 | $ | |
VOD | 2.77% | 9.38 | $ | |
GSK | 3.5% | 39.005 | $ | |
AZN | 2.68% | 74.205 | $ | |
BP | -7.25% | 31.525 | $ | |
BTI | 4.18% | 42.005 | $ |

Italy flood deaths rise to 13 as thousands wait to come home
The death toll from floods that have devastated northeastern Italy rose to 13 on Thursday, according to media reports, driving thousands from their homes and destroying crops in an area known as the country's orchard.
Rescue workers have been searching for anyone trapped by floodwaters in the Emilia Romagna region.
Authorities have not confirmed the latest rise from the 11 deaths previously announced.
Among the victims were two farmers in their 70s who may have been electrocuted while trying to move a fridge inside a flooded house, Italian media reported.
With 10,000 people already displaced, authorities in Ravenna issued an immediate evacuation order early Thursday morning for three more villages threatened by floods.
"There is a hole in the dyke, so if it were to start raining again... we fear that the water could rise again, this is our biggest fear," Andrea Ancherani, a resident of Bagnara di Romagna near Imola, told AFP.
Locals waded through dirty water or reclaimed what they could from sodden houses in towns across the wealthy region, famed for its historic cities and prized gastronomy.
Authorities said electricity had been partly restored, but some 27,000 people were still in the dark.
Nearly two dozen rivers and streams flooded across the southeast of the low-lying region following heavy rain earlier this week, submerging entire neighbourhoods and farmland, and damaging 400 roads.
Agricultural lobby Coldiretti said Thursday that more than 5,000 farms were under water, with drowned animals and tens of thousands of hectares of vineyards, fruit trees, vegetables and grain flooded.
As the water receded in some areas, residents were left cleaning homes and streets thick with mud and filled with debris.
In Lugo, near Ravenna, Flavio Abbondanti, 39, was waiting for the water that had inundated his home to subside so he could get to work.
"We used what we could find from a work site to make a little barrier, but (the water) still came in," he said.
- Wall of water -
The mayor of Ravenna, Michele De Pascale, announced Thursday that residents of about a half dozen towns could return, but warned them "to exercise the utmost caution".
Cracks in river embankments still posed a risk to other areas, which were being closely monitored, he said.
The dead included a couple in Ronta di Cesena believed to have been hit by a wall of water as they went to check on their herb farm.
The body of the woman, in her 60s, was pulled 20 kilometres (12.5 miles) by rushing waters to the beach in Cesenatico, according to SkyTG24.
There was little significant rainfall on Thursday and only light rain expected Friday, though authorities said the high level alert for rivers remained.
Two people died in the same region earlier this month after two days of almost continuous rain.
"We had an estimated two billion (euros) of damages two weeks ago... the ground no longer absorbs anything," Stefano Bonaccini, president of the Emilia Romagna region, told La7 television channel late Wednesday.
"When we have six months of rain in 36 hours, falling where there had already been record rain two weeks ago, there is no territory that can hold out."
Experts warn such disasters are becoming the norm due to human-induced climate change which is exacerbating both droughts and storms.
- 'Shocking disaster' -
On Thursday Bonaccini compared the floods to the earthquake that hit the region on May 20, 2012, almost 11 years ago to the day.
Fixing the damage would be "a gigantic undertaking", he said, and the region launched a fundraising effort.
Ferrari, the luxury carmaker whose Maranello base is not far from the flooded areas, pledged one million euros ($1.1 million).
The flooding caused the cancellation of Sunday's Formula One Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in Imola.
Italy's armed forces and the coastguard joined the rescue effort, deploying helicopters to lift desperate residents from their homes and inflatable boats to reach houses surrounded by water.
Agriculture Minister Francesco Lollobrigida said Wednesday that the government could not yet quantify the overall damage to the region while vast areas were still flooded.
Y.Uduike--CPN